YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Automobiles Archives

William Reed submitted several photos of the first Jeep undergoing testing at the Army’s Holabird Motor Transport Depot in Baltimore, and shared an inadvertent connection his father, Bill, had with that testing. The body portion, for driver and passengers, of the first Jeeps ever made were fabricated at the York-Hoover

Dan Trimmer inquired about a story often shared by an uncle; who, while working at the York Motor Company in 1929, claimed to have repaired a flat tire on the car of Henry Ford. Newspaper reports do place Henry Ford in York County, Pennsylvania, on June 7, 1929; where he visited several places, including the York Motor Company. In June of 1929, Henry Ford was on an automobile journey across Pennsylvania; from east to west, primarily on the Lincoln Highway.

Nick Lentz noted that when his grandparents dated they often went to the Imperial Theatre in Wrightsville. Those dates always included shared dreams of buying a car as they walked by an enticing car lot at the theatre entrance. That car lot turned out to be shrewdly located by the common owner of the Theatre and the Lincoln Highway Garage; which was an agency for Ford, Dodge and Buick automobiles.

York County service stations featured giveaways ranging from airplane rides to lunar landers. These promotional gifts were a means to entice customer loyalty for particular gasoline brands or stations. G. G. Naugle’s service station operated during the 1930s; along the Lincoln Highway in Stony Brook, Springettsbury Township, York County, PA.

The Lincoln Highway Garage in Wrightsville was the first such named in York County and possibly the earliest in the country. Harry E. Bailey established this garage as early as 1915; less than two years after the initial organizational meeting of the Lincoln Highway Association in 1913, and only one