YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Family Histories Archives

The rest of the story about Gotwalt’s Mill, at the S-curve in Camp Betty Washington Road, is told in this post. This mill is also referred to as Rider’s Mill and more commonly Bowser’s Cider Mill. The Olde Mill Cabinet Shoppe presently occupies this old mill structure in York Township.

This post explores an assortment of four Stony Brook Drive-In Theatre queries from YorksPast readers. Their curiosity ranged from the history of the Hoke Farm, upon which the Drive-In Theatre was constructed in 1949, to a comment involving a nearby York County company that manufactured outdoor screens for Drive-In Theatres;

Research into the often-asked question: “Why is a Graveyard along Eastern Boulevard at Stone Ridge Road?” revealed a surprise. It was generally known, that the graveyard accepted burials from churches, which stood directly across Stone Ridge Road. However the burial ground origins go back further; to at least 1830 when

Don Farr submitted a photo of a bell manufactured by Baugher & Bro., of York, PA. The manufacture of bells was a specialized foundry trade and research suggests 150-years-ago Baugher & Bro. might be the first York County foundry to produce bells. The bell has a mouth diameter of 19-inches

During the walk between stops 3 and 4 of a Yorkshire History Walk, tales were shared about Bear’s Food Market and the various restaurants occupying that grocery store in later years. That store, on the Lincoln Highway, near the east entrance to Yorkshire, has a connection to Bear’s Department Store/Cafeteria,

I’ll share stories about the Barshinger Family of Barshinger’s Mill at a meeting of the Red Lion Area Historical Society on October 28, 2021. The presentation will take place at St. John’s UCC at 7:00 p.m.; enter into the rear of the church, off of the rear parking lot. Address

Abraham Pfeiffer established Pfeiffer’s Brewery in York, Pennsylvania, during 1857. Pfeiffer’s could be the first of a string of breweries located at the northwest corner of King and Queen Streets. At the onset the Civil War, Pfeiffer’s brewery operations were moved to Violet Hill, along the Baltimore Pike in Spring

William S. Shipley is known for his leadership in the “York Plan” and for being the national spokesman for that defense production plan during World War II; however he also provided astute leadership during York Ice Machinery Corporation’s transition from Ice Making to Air Conditioning during the 1930s. William S. Shipley succeeded his older brother Thomas Shipley as president of Yorkco in 1930.

The origins of Springettsbury Township Park stretches back centuries. In 1793, Jacob Strickler established a 44-acre farm straddling present Mount Zion Road; with the farm fields worked by Strickler descendants, continuously for over 100-years. Dr. Louis V. Williams conveyed those same 44-acres to Springettsbury Township in 1966, at the conclusion of a 10-year installment payment plan. Three years later, the farm fields were transformed into the initial nucleus of Springettsbury Township Park.