YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Various Locations Archives

Robert Fraser would like to share experiences operating a vintage ice cream freezer with others still using 1930s freezers manufactured by YORK Ice Machinery Corporation. Robert’s grandfather, Hans Erikson, Jr., took delivery of a YORK freezer in 1937; when he started the ice cream business at his dairy. That freezer is still used at Erikson’s Ice Cream Stand in Maynard, Massachusetts; because it makes better ice cream, compared to that made in modern freezers.

Robert Fraser submitted photos of a 1937 Batch Ice Cream Freezer, which was manufactured by YORK Ice Machinery Corporation, at their plant in Canton, Ohio. The freezer is still used at Erikson’s Ice Cream Stand in Maynard, Massachusetts; because it makes better ice cream, compared to that made in modern freezers. Robert’s submission was the tipping point in writing about the Canton Plant; which became YORK’s third major manufacturing facility in 1927.

Joe Spagnolo shared some fascinating early history about the 1960s Wagner’s Diner, located along the Lincoln Highway, east of Hellam. A 1963 publication contains a photo of the downstairs bar, with the caption: “Wagner’s Saloon, run by John Wagner in Hellam, Pa., is the home of the country’s first Noggin Club.” These clubs quickly spread across North America. They owed their name and popularity to characteristics of Noggin beer mugs, produced with the proprietary, aluminum-based alloy metal, Armetale, developed in 1963 by Ralph P. (Bud) Wilton, Jr.

Bob Thompson commented about the strong Go-Kart Racing culture in York County during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. His home track, as a racer, was a half-mile raceway, located along River Road, south of Goldsboro. About the mid-1970s, Bob progressed into helping stage weekend Go-Kart races in large parking lots, throughout Central Pennsylvania.

A log house in Goldsboro was carefully dismantled about 25-years ago and stored in a barn. The owners of the dismantled log house for the past 13-years, Ted Pesano and his wife, were planning to reassemble the house as their residence, however circumstances have changed. The marked pieces and drawings, for reassembly, are now for sale. Their hope is that the log house can stay in York County.

The locations of Mary Ann Furnace, Mary Ann Furnace Speedway and a mystery site, possibly connected to Mary Ann Forge, are examined in this post. All locations are presently within the southwest end of Codorus State Park, about three miles southeast of Hanover. Mary Ann Furnace was the first cold-blast iron furnace west of the Susquehanna River. The furnace started operating 1761-62; three years before the startup of Codorus Furnace, located in Hellam Township. Different Signers of the Declaration of Independence were owners of these two furnaces, which produced munitions during the Revolutionary War.

A question from Tim Ritter, caused his dad, Glenn, to reminisce about a 1960s go-kart track in Hellam Township; along the Lincoln Highway east of Hallam, located behind Wagner’s Diner. Glenn ended up sharing stories about go-kart racing and recreational go-karting in York County. Tim decided to share them with YorksPast, while inquiring about several facts his dad was not sure about.

During 1926, five hospitals were in York, PA; from the most beds to the least: York Hospital, 125 beds; West Side Sanitarium, 42 beds; York County Almshouse Hospital, 28 beds; Polyclinic Hospital, 10 beds; and Church View Sanatorium, 6 beds. The building, in Doctors Row at 409 West Market Street, was the site of Church View Sanitarium; containing an operating room primarily utilized by Dr. Samuel E. Ensminger from June of 1916 into the 1920s. Learn how that Sanatorium had an impact on the establishment of the Polyclinic Hospital in York.

Lydia Eloise Williams furthered her education, got married to Reginald Hall, and become internationally known as a pioneer in nursing theory with her Care-Cure-Core method; following twenty-two formative years in York County, Pennsylvania, where her upbringing and nursing degree in 1927 undoubtedly providing the solid foundation for that pioneering nursing theory work, while in New York.