YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Sports Archives

Bob Thompson commented about the strong Go-Kart Racing culture in York County during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. His home track, as a racer, was a half-mile raceway, located along River Road, south of Goldsboro. About the mid-1970s, Bob progressed into helping stage weekend Go-Kart races in large parking lots, throughout Central Pennsylvania.

A question from Tim Ritter, caused his dad, Glenn, to reminisce about a 1960s go-kart track in Hellam Township; along the Lincoln Highway east of Hallam, located behind Wagner’s Diner. Glenn ended up sharing stories about go-kart racing and recreational go-karting in York County. Tim decided to share them with YorksPast, while inquiring about several facts his dad was not sure about.

Soap Box Derby racing was conducted on the South Queen Street hill from 1952 until 1959. The gravity-powered racers started in Spring Garden Township; just below the Highland Road intersection with Queen Street. As the racers sped through the Rathton Road intersection they entered York City. The finish line of

Tom Landis wanted to know, “Is there a story behind the Quonset huts which can be seen across the railroad tracks from Industrial Highway.” These Quonset huts were the first buildings constructed within a new consolidated York-Shipley 40-Acre East York Plant; erected on the southeast corner of Whiteford Road and