YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Roads Archives

Cathy Ross shared stories of riding horses at Avalong Farms Morgan Stable and then working at their Barn Mall; in the Blue Sky Jean Shop and at the Boring Furniture Outlet. Prior to the opening of the Galleria, the Avalong Farms Barn Mall housed 25 shops in their former horse barn. Even so, that barn site played a part in the backstory of the Galleria Mall.

The origins of Springettsbury Township Park stretches back centuries. In 1793, Jacob Strickler established a 44-acre farm straddling present Mount Zion Road; with the farm fields worked by Strickler descendants, continuously for over 100-years. Dr. Louis V. Williams conveyed those same 44-acres to Springettsbury Township in 1966, at the conclusion of a 10-year installment payment plan. Three years later, the farm fields were transformed into the initial nucleus of Springettsbury Township Park.

Joe Spagnolo shared some fascinating early history about the 1960s Wagner’s Diner, located along the Lincoln Highway, east of Hellam. A 1963 publication contains a photo of the downstairs bar, with the caption: “Wagner’s Saloon, run by John Wagner in Hellam, Pa., is the home of the country’s first Noggin Club.” These clubs quickly spread across North America. They owed their name and popularity to characteristics of Noggin beer mugs, produced with the proprietary, aluminum-based alloy metal, Armetale, developed in 1963 by Ralph P. (Bud) Wilton, Jr.

A log house in Goldsboro was carefully dismantled about 25-years ago and stored in a barn. The owners of the dismantled log house for the past 13-years, Ted Pesano and his wife, were planning to reassemble the house as their residence, however circumstances have changed. The marked pieces and drawings, for reassembly, are now for sale. Their hope is that the log house can stay in York County.

The locations of Mary Ann Furnace, Mary Ann Furnace Speedway and a mystery site, possibly connected to Mary Ann Forge, are examined in this post. All locations are presently within the southwest end of Codorus State Park, about three miles southeast of Hanover. Mary Ann Furnace was the first cold-blast iron furnace west of the Susquehanna River. The furnace started operating 1761-62; three years before the startup of Codorus Furnace, located in Hellam Township. Different Signers of the Declaration of Independence were owners of these two furnaces, which produced munitions during the Revolutionary War.

A question from Tim Ritter, caused his dad, Glenn, to reminisce about a 1960s go-kart track in Hellam Township; along the Lincoln Highway east of Hallam, located behind Wagner’s Diner. Glenn ended up sharing stories about go-kart racing and recreational go-karting in York County. Tim decided to share them with YorksPast, while inquiring about several facts his dad was not sure about.

The expansion of the Springettsbury Township municipal complex closer to the southeast corner of Mount Zion Road and Pleasant Valley Road is imminent. A fire in the existing Police Station a year ago was the final straw in a string of significant issues within what is the original municipal building for Springettsbury Township. A year-long planning effort during 2020 will likely result in a groundbreaking during the first half of 2021.

Sam Leitz submitted a site plan of a proposed building slated to succeed Bendix and Fincor at 3750 East Market Street in Springettsbury Township. Sam questioned: “Is this the so called Amazon Hub planned for Stony Brook, which is creating a buzz on Facebook?” Sam searched the Internet after hearing the Amazon rumor. He did not find anything to back up the rumor, until he discovered the site plan.

In 1872, the Northern Central Railway established a picnic area near Howard Tunnel. During summer seasons, scheduled and special steam trains transported organizations to and from these Tunnel Grounds; which were improved year-after-year into a first-class one-day destination for groups with a minimum of 20, however up to as many as 600.