YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Transportation Archives

YorksPast continues the series of posts exploring the history of the Codorus Navigation Works. Completed in November of 1833, the 11-miles of canal and slackwater, via the Codorus Creek, allowed navigating 70-foot long canal boats between downtown York and the Susquehanna River. Part twelve explores Dam 7 and Lock 9;

YorksPast continues the series of posts exploring the history of the Codorus Navigation Works. Completed in November of 1833, the 11-miles of canal and slackwater, via the Codorus Creek, allowed navigating 70-foot long canal boats between downtown York and the Susquehanna River. Part eleven explores the 3-Rise Staircase Locks 6,

YorksPast continues the series of posts exploring the history of the Codorus Navigation Works. Completed in November of 1833, the 11-miles of canal and slackwater, via the Codorus Creek, allowed navigating 70-foot long canal boats between downtown York and the Susquehanna River. Part nine explores Mundis Mill; located at the

YorksPast continues the series of posts exploring the history of the Codorus Canal. Completed in November of 1833, this canal allowed navigating 70-foot long canal boats between downtown York and the Susquehanna River. Part six explores Small’s Codorus Mill; built concurrently with Dam No. 3 and Lock No. 3 of

YorksPast continues the series of posts exploring the history of the Codorus Canal. Completed in November of 1833, this canal allowed navigating 70-foot long canal boats between downtown York and the Susquehanna River. Part five explores how the Codorus Creek was navigated via thirteen strategically placed locks between the Borough

Bob Smyser shared the story that Howard Smyser sold electric cars in York by boasting, “The cars are fueled by Susquehanna River water.” Meaning, the waters of the Susquehanna produce electricity, via the York Haven Hydroelectric Power Plant, which charge the car batteries, allowing for 75 to 90 miles of