YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Talks Archives

Before big-box chain grocery stores, a scattering of community grocery stores served the residents of Springettsbury Township. One such store, Evans’ Grocery, operated in the building at 45 North Findlay Street in the East York neighborhood from 1930 until 1965. Evans’ Grocery Store was among over 200 early businesses, which

Thirteen decades ago the village of Pleasureville was bustling with 17 thriving businesses. One of those businesses was the E. G. Keller store, already well on its way at being operated for 52-years by founder Emanuel G. Keller. He was one of seven businessmen that met to start the ball

John Dauber Florist business in York County was not just a flower shop. For more than 70-years this family owned business operated from an array of large greenhouses to far-reaching plant nurseries; with ties to the Susquehanna Trail, Arsenal Road and ultimately Route 30. In the circa 1950s eastward looking

“Clockmaker began York’s Railroad Heritage” is the title of a Phineas Davis talk, which has been presented seven times. Comments following each talk always resulted in additional research, which has continually fine-tuned the story. Suggested additions were also made; such as the story of black machinist William Wood, who worked

At stop number 4 of a Yorkshire History Walk, the story of the first church in Yorkshire was shared. The present Yorkshire United Methodist Church congregation recognizes their first Yorkshire church site, via displaying the 1926 cornerstone of the Yorkshire Evangelical Church. During the Yorkshire History Walk on September 18th,

Research into the often-asked question: “Why is a Graveyard along Eastern Boulevard at Stone Ridge Road?” revealed a surprise. It was generally known, that the graveyard accepted burials from churches, which stood directly across Stone Ridge Road. However the burial ground origins go back further; to at least 1830 when