Parade of Vintage Cars in Springettsbury Township
On April 15, 1973, this part of a parade of vintage cars traveled north on Mt. Zion Road and turned into the road in front of York County Tourist Information Center; now Whiteford Road along the south end of Springettsbury Township Park. The vintage cars motorcade left at 1:30 p.m. from the Historical Society of York County in Downtown York and traveled the Lincoln Highway eastwardly, turning north on Mt. Zion Road.
Besides local dignitaries the cars carried guests: Congressman George A. Goodling, State Secretary of Revenue Robert P. Kane and Deputy Secretary of State Community Affairs Albert Hydeman. This parade was all part of the ceremonies for the Grand Opening of the York County’s new Tourist Information Center at the Mt. Zion Road Interchange of the newly opened 4-Lane Route 30.
The following THEN & NOW Aerial Photos show where Cliff Satterthwaite was standing and his southward viewpoint when he took the Parade of Vintage Cars photo. In Cliff’s photo: the elevated roadway in the background is Route 30; the farmhouse sitting in the field south of Avalong Farms Dairy Bar is long since gone and is now the location of a BigLots! store; and all the concrete in the photo is the intersection of Mt. Zion Road and Whiteford Road, before the traffic islands were installed.
- York County Tourist Information Center and Avalong
- Avalong Farms Miniature Golf & Arnold Palmer Driving Range
- Third Avalong Barn captured by Cliff Satterthwaite
- Locations of five One-Room Schoolhouses that closed in 1952; and The Avalong Connection