Part II: Former Baltimore Colt Lenny Moore: ‘God has blessed me with talent and ability which I never knew I had’
Former NFL Pro Bowler Chris Doleman meets William Penn star athlete Kelvin Parker before the mayor’s annual state of the city speech at William Penn High School in April. Parker introduced Doleman, a star athlete at York High 30 years ago, when he was honored with the White Rose Hall of Fame Award earlier this year. Doleman was also honored when the city named a street in his honor. Doleman also gained prominent mention in Michael Lewis’ ‘The Blind Side,’ that followed the development of the offensive left tackle position to stop the likes of pass rushers Doleman and Lawrence Taylor. Also of interest: Walking in the footsteps of heroes and Who were most prominent 20th-century sports heroes in York and Adams counties? and York County has produced several star NFL players
In Part I about former Baltimore Colt Lenny Moore, we established that when the former running back comes to York, it’s a bit of a homecoming for him.
His parents are buried here, for example, and his younger cousins still live here.
I thought about him when reading about a Chris Doleman-inspired website that asks: “How does York County produce so many NFL legends?” … .
The Celebrity Charitable Network website asks: “How does York County produce so many NFL legends?”
As examples, the site cites Ron Johnson, Woody Bennett, Jon Witman, Omar Brown and, of course, Chris Doleman. (The site could have included the Green Bay Packers John Kuhn, the Kansas City Chiefs Mike Cox and the New York Giants Will Beatty.)
“One may never know how York County manages to produce so many NFL greats,” the site said, “but it should be noted that answer may lie within a strong community.”
Lenny Moore is often associated with Reading, where he played in high school.
But perhaps this man of accomplishment, with such strong York County roots, could be made an honorary member of NFL legends from York County.
Also of interest:
– Part I: Former Baltimore Colt Lenny Moore: ‘God has blessed me with talent and ability which I never knew I had’.
– Lineup full of sports stars with York County links.
– York County has produced several star NFL players.
– Who were most prominent 20th-century sports heroes in York and Adams counties?
– All York Town Square posts from the start. Then use “find” function on browser to search for keywords.
– Of course, you can always search for York Town Square posts on Google. For example, when you search for yorktownsquare and professional athletes, you get this.
Lenny Moore signed autographs at Hanover Rotary Club’s Hanover Sports Night in 2009 at South Western High School.
*Photos courtesy of the York Daily Record/Sunday News and Hanover Evening Sun.