Loretta Claiborne medalist in portrait: Linked in with neat York County, Pa., history stuff – Sept. 22, 2010
Special Olympics gold medalist and York resident Loretta Claiborne spoke at a ceremony celebrating the arrival of a portrait featuring her friend and Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver at Pennsylvania’s Capitol. It’s a reproduction of one from the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. That’s Claiborne immediately to the right of Shriver – President John F. Kennedy’s sister. (To view video of the ceremony, see below. For another view of the portrait, visit: York, Pa.’s Loretta Claiborne about friend Eunice Shriver: ‘She could have gone anywhere, but she wanted to help humanity’. Also of interest: William Penn Senior High School Hall of Fame honors a host of York County achievers and Loretta Claiborne’s achievements bring spotlight her way and Who were most prominent 20th-century sports heroes in York and Adams counties?
Neat stuff from all over … .
Gary E. Heiland is looking for information about a North York store where he remembers shopping for appliances.
That store came to mind because it occupied some of the structures that went up in flames.
The owner was somewhat of a character but was a good person to deal with. We knew him as ‘Speedy’ Kauffman and I think the business was known as Kauffman Appliances. Although it was an appliance store he actually sold a little of everything, though he sometime could not find the articles you wanted.
If you have information on the store, comment below or contact Gary.
– Yorkblogger June Lloyd’s York Sunday News column tells about the Pennsylvania Gazette, published in York in 1777-78. And it has sidebar with information about an essay contest on American Revolutionary themes.
– In an op ed piece in the York Sunday News, York countian Jonathan Stayer of the Pennsylvania Archives provides insight about past digs at Camp Security, Springettsbury Township’s controverted prisoner-of-war site from the American Revolution: Clarifying letter on Camp Security.
– Recommended blog post: Yorkblogger Pat Abdalla writes in Southpaw about a little-known York County major leaguer from the past: Player Appreciation: George Decker, a local guy with a solid career.
– Recommended forum, The Exchange: Steam whistle to use air this year.
– All York Town Square posts from the start. (Key word search by using “find” on browser.)
– All Linked In/Neat Stuff posts from the start..
This video shows the unveiling of a Special Olympics portrait this week in Harrisburg. To read more, visit: Local Special Olympian Loretta Claiborne attends portrait unveiling.