Deb (Glatfelter) Martin of the Seven Valleys area still has the receipt for her wedding dress, purchased 32 years ago at the former Pat Morgart's Bridal Shop on Route 74 in West Manchester Township.
Reader shares her wedding memories
COVID-19 quarantine has certainly given many readers time to gather their thoughts and share memories, and I’m very grateful! Today’s letter came from reader Deb (Glatfelter) Martin of the Seven Valleys area.
Deb wrote, “I’ve read your column for several years. I enjoy your many topics, even though some are ‘before my time.’ My mom remembers a lot of them. Last year, you talked about wedding memories. I’ve been wanting to share ours with you, so I’m finally able to cross this off my ‘to do’ list.”
She continued, “Fortunately my mom saved most of the receipts; she does have a detailed list of expenditures.” She enclosed copies of some of those receipts as well as a list of the retailers and expenses of the time, and added, “Fortunately, our marriage has fared beter than the stores. This August 2020 is 32 years.”
Deb continued, “We were married on Saturday, Aug. 13, 1988, at the former York Gospel Center on Reynolds Mill Road, York, Pa. It was a hot, humid day and a dry summer. We did have a shower during the reception. We were still able to go to the York Water Co. Reservoir Park to take a few pictures at the gazebo.”
She continued, “My gown was bought at Pat Morgart’s Bridal Shop, 2094 Carlisle Road. It is now Educational Building Blocks Daycare. The cost for my gown, hat, undergarments, alterations and tax was $642.04. I believe Pat’s daughter, Beverly, had Beverly’s Bridal Boutique, just down the road. I think there is a funeral home in there now. Beverly’s sold discounted gowns.”
Then, Deb noted, “Our cake came from Jay’s Grocery Store bakery on Haines Road, York. The cost was $129.50. Ollie’s Bargain Outlet is now located there.”
- “Frank King Studio was the photographer for our engagement and wedding pictures. This cost $466.”
- “Our video was done by Shanaman’s Video Productions for $198.75.”
- “Plain & Fancy Caterers catered our meal. We had 182 dinners at $5.50 each for a total of $1,001.”
- “My mom’s cousin owned Hueter’s Greenhouses. She made our flowers for us. Hueter’s was recently sold to Inch’s as the family is retired.”
- “We rented a few things (candelabras, a trellis, aisle runner and fans for the reception) from A & R Rental.”
- “The Bible I carried, guest book and ring bearer’s pillow came from the former Layser’s in Queensgate Shopping Center.”
- “Plus for our honeymoon, we traveled through the New England states.”
Deb, it was so fun of you to share all of this – I enjoyed the “back in time” look at a period of York’s history that I remember, too! (Certainly I trooped through Pat Morgart’s with plenty of people at various times!)
And, though I’m a bit late for your anniversary, I’m wishing you and your husband a very happy 33rd year ahead!