Only in York County readers share their memories of the former Mount Rose Elementary School and the former Wilson School, both in York, Pa.
This week’s column is a look at how some people in York County, Pa., are spreading kindness in tough times, plus some fun memories of the Del Cords and the Bar-B-Q Cottage.
Cornelius B. Landes, the great-grandfather of reader Helen Z. Loucks, owned and operated a downtown York hotel and livery stable from the 1890s to the early 1820s.
Only in York County reader Joe Gurreri shares memories of his family’s many auto-related businesses in York County, including his own Gurreri Motors, which is soon closing due to his retirement.
Only in York County readers share their memories of a bridge that’s more than 100 years old, the Dinky commuter train and McGurk’s service station.
Only in York County readers talk about the former York Mall’s stores, the pest house on Richland Avenue in York, Felty’s newsstand and Katie Gaubeart, “the stocking lady.”
Only in York County readers seek information on a past 5-and-10 store on East Market Street, a grocery store on East Princess Street in the ’60s, and the former Fireside Restaurant, all in York, Pa.
Only in York County readers share memories of N.O. Smith’s used car lot (and miniature golf course/go-carting venue) as well as former local restaurants Bierman’s and LoPiccolo’s.
Reader Norma J. Shue provided some information on local artist Ernst Zimmerman (1870-1944), whose large portfolio of nature scenes and other paintings is recognizable to many in the area.