All-Stars and Baseball and York, Pa: Singing praises for All-Star City – and a challenge to Lancaster, Pa.
These pictures captured the scene of the Atlantic League All-Star Game at Sovereign Bank Stadium. Mary Ellen Thomson took these photos from a 1943 Stearman biplane, piloted by Barry Thomson. See all eight photos in this series. Also of interest: Simple photograph helps frame York, Pa.’s, future and All York Revolution posts from the start and Sovereign Bank Stadium at least the fifth home field for York-area pro baseball teams.
This piece from the York Sunday News editorial for Sunday (7/17/10) summarizes one of the most talked-about events in recent memory in York County – the Atlantic League All-Star Game in Sovereign Bank Stadium: … .
Wednesday’s game was Sovereign Bank Stadium’s first sellout, drawing a whopping 8,053 fans and shattering the stadium’s previous mark of 7,412. The crowd was also the second largest in the 14-year history of the Atlantic League All-Star Game.
The 8,053 person crowd is more than twice the average attendance at Revolution home games through the first half of this season.
York is still drawing fewer fans than neighboring Lancaster. The Barnstormers finished the 2010 season ranked third in attendance (4,816 fans per game), ahead of the No. 4 Revs (4,094). And Lancaster continued the trend for the first half of 2011, ranking third in the league (4,060 per game) to lead York (3,716).
Lancaster is ahead by only an average of 300 fans a game.
Let’s push the All-Star enthusiasm into another battle of the roses: a battle of attendance.
This could be the season York steals third — third-highest attendance, that is — by beating Lancaster’s attendance mark.
Dover grad high John Kuhn throws out the first pitch at the Atlantic League All-Star Game at Sovereign Bank Stadium.
– Read the rest of this editorial: Singing praises for All-Star city
– See a story with links to video and photos of the All-Star game.
– Meet the York Revolution players who made the Freedom Division squad in this interactive baseball card feature.
– Visit here for the best darn fireworks photo you ever saw, taken in show right after the game.
The view from inside the stadium.
Also of interest, again
Simple photograph helps frame York, Pa.’s, future and All York Revolution posts from the start and Sovereign Bank Stadium at least the fifth home field for York-area pro baseball teams.
The pros and high schoolers participate in home run derby.
– All York Town Square posts from the start. Then use “find” function on browser to search for keywords.
– Of course, you can always search for York Town Square posts on Google. For example, when you search for yorktownsquare and York Revolution, you get this.