Non-profit leaders will say the good work their teams do is a best-kept secret in York County. Cross-posting is a path to tell those stories. This is the signature picture on a Facebook group that welcomes cross-posting - the YDR's 26,500-member Fixing York.
Facebook cross-posting: Telling about your non-profit’s many accomplishments
A York County man is cracking the code about how to get out word about free tax preparation services his organization offers.
The volunteer is 82-year-old Dick Hershey.
And his represents AARP, the group focusing on issues facing people over 50.
And the medium he is using to promote the tax prep services is Facebook.
And the method is cross-posting on Facebook.
You can read how he does it: How to tell the world about the good things your organization does.
Cross-posting, when done correctly, is a best practice in sending a post to more than one group.
This practice, encouraged by Facebook and welcomed by moderators of many York County Facebook groups, targets posts or stories from non-profit clubs and organizations to relevant Facebook groups and pages.
Indeed, Facebook has a function that allows easy cross-posting. It also is best to put a thoughtful message in the status area before posting.
What do moderators mean by relevant? You wouldn’t want to post a local event that is happening mainly for Wrightsville residents to a Hanover group. However, if the Wrightsville event is regional in scope – the annual Bridge Bust, for example, a post on that event is a candidate for cross-posting in Hanover.
With the help of Dick Hershey and others, I am putting forth this list of groups and pages that accept relevant or appropriate posts, and welcome additions to this list: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to study a well-managed group to understand a healthy community conversation that any non-profit would want to join, check out Mike Thomas’ 44,000-member Southern York County PA group.
Extending your story’s reaching/Community friendly groups and pages
Post relevant subject matter in these FB pages or groups
- *No Sweat York (YDR) (fitness): https://www.facebook.com/groups/NoSweatYork/
- *Retro York (YDR) (history) – https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroyork/
- *Fixing York (YDR) (community): https://www.facebook.com/groups/fixingyorkpa/
- *Hanover Helps (Evening Sun)- https://www.facebook.com/groups/124551117891084/
- *Central Pennsylvania Eats & Entertainment (YDR) – https://www.facebook.com/groups/centralpaeats/
- FYI in Franklin County (Public Opinion): https://www.facebook.com/groups/FYIFranklinCounty/
- *Eastern York County Pa. (YDR): https://www.facebook.com/groups/easternyorkcountypa/
- *Northern York County Pa (YDR): https://www.facebook.com/groups/northernyorkcountypa/
Post your stories in relevant community FB groups. Some of the most effective:
- *Southern York County PA: (18) Southern York County PA | Facebook
- *York County PA: https://www.facebook.com/groups/YorkCountyPaGroup/
- *York Pa. Happenings & World Events: https://www.facebook.com/groups/707336766054214/
- Hanover Area Watch Group: (1) Hanover Area Watch Group (HAWG) | Facebook
- All About Hanover: (3) All About Hanover (AAH) | Facebook
- *The Movement: (2) The Movement | Facebook
- Hellam Wrightsville Columbia PA: (1) Hellam Wrightsville Columbia, PA | Facebook.
- Red Lion Community Members: Red Lion Community Members | Facebook
- Red Lion Happenings: (13) Red Lion Happenings | Facebook
- Red Lion-Dallastown-Yoe Community Page: (9) Red Lion-Dallastown-Yoe Community Page | Facebook.
- The Central Pa. Network – (4) Central PA Community | Facebook.
- Dover, PA Facebook Group – (6) Dover, PA | Facebook.
- Life in West Manchester Township, York County PA: (6) Life in West Manchester Township, York County PA | Facebook
- Hanover Area News Source: (6) Hanover Area News Source (HANS) | Facebook
- Preserving the History of Newberrytown: (8) Preserving The History Of Newberrytown | Facebook (This group is history oriented, but accepts community news and serves as a community hub.)
- The VALLEY: 4 Good Change in the 717 & Susquehanna Valley. (Community issues.)
- Culture on the Line Facebook Page. (York/Adams artists, their fans and news about art exhibits).
- *The Good in York County: (8) The Good in York County | Facebook
- Hellam Wrightsville Columbia PA: (8) Hellam Wrightsville Columbia, PA | Facebook
- Red Lion-Dallastown-Yoe Community Page: Red Lion-Dallastown-Yoe Community Page
Community nostalgia and history sites
- Preserving York (history): https://www.facebook.com/groups/preservingyork. (County history site.)
- Randomly York Pa: (9) Randomly Historic York,Pa. | Facebook
- Almost every community has one and will accept relevant posts. Some examples: (10) Friends of Codorus Valley Area Historical Society | Facebook; (8) Red Lion History & Preservation | Facebook and https://www.facebook.com/groups/GoldsboroHistory
*Please note this difference between a Facebook group and a page. When you share to a group, your post will immediately appear on the page, unless the moderator has set things up so it must be approved first. When you share to a page, your post will go into the community section of the page and not on the main page.