Where in the world is Washington Township in York County, home of top dog Malachy
This outdoor chapel is on the grounds of the Bermudian Church of the Brethren, in Washington Township in western York County. It’s one of York County’s most beautiful scenes, the benches and cross overlooking Bermudian Creek. (Click to enlarge; see creek view below.) Also of interest: Washington Township area home to religious group affiliated with Ephrata Cloister.
Malachy, the tiny dog who scored big at the Westminster Kennel Club show, is York County’s newest celebrity.
The residence of the dog, originally reported to live in East Berlin, Adams County, actually lives in Washington Township, out near where York meets Adams County.
It’s one of York County’s least populated and most beautiful areas.
What is the region in and around East Berlin known for other than the home of Malachy?
Here are two:
A typical scene around Washington Township in western York County.
Actor Eddie Albert visited there and Cold War theorist George Kennan lived there. Visit these respective posts: East Berlin veterans spotlighted ‘Green Acres’ Eddie Albert‘s heroism in World War II and ‘X-Man,’ historian George F. Kennan no stranger to Berlin, Germany – and East Berlin, Pa.
It’s also interesting that this bucolic region is the birthplace of the a major automobile company of old – Studebakers.
It all goes to show that even in the most remote areas of York County and the area surrounding it, history happened.
Here are two Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission markers noting this Studebaker link:
1. John Studebaker View
Dedicated: Monday, December 06, 1948
Location: Oxford Rd. (SR 1015), just off PA 234, 1/2 mile E of Heidlersburg
Marker Text: Had his wagon works 2.5 miles SE of here, 1830 to 1836, when he moved west. In 1852 his sons formed the Studebaker Company, the world’s largest maker of horse-drawn vehicles and, in 1897, a pioneer in the automobile industry.
2. Studebaker Home View
Dedicated: Saturday, August 15, 1970
Location: 200 W. King St. (PA 234) W of Abbottstown St. (PA 194), East Berlin
Marker Text: Built ca. 1790 by David Studebaker, carpenter, farmer, and minister. He was related to the family that later built wagons and automobiles. The house is privately maintained as a museum.
*Photos by Robert McClure