The greatest athlete ever from York/Adams? The NFL community votes for Chris Doleman
Here’s one of York County’s memories of Chris Doleman, the York High grad who will be inducted into the National Football League Hall of Fame today in Canton, Ohio. The City of York awarded him an honorary street sign near his childhood home. Also of interest: York County has produced several star NFL players, with Woody Bennett being the most unsung
York County has produced many amateur and professional athletes who have excelled on the world stage.
The list of achievers is long as this file suggests:Who were most prominent 20th-century sports heroes in York and Adams counties?
But no one has reached a major professional sports hall of fame.
None, that is, until Chris Doleman enters the NFL Hall of Fame today.
– He is a member of the White Rose Hall of Fame Award, courtesy of York Mayor Kim Bracey. Other inductions: York Area Sports Hall of Fame (inducted in 2006), the BT Express Football Hall of Fame (2004) and the William Penn Hall of Fame (2000).
– Here’s a list of other William Penn High School achievers, listed as part of a movement to promote positive role models: Promoting York High’s achievers: ‘Grab that and run with it’
– This is a yorktownsquare.com blog category:York High achievers.
– For a list of top York County high school athletes of all time, based on fans and sports writers tallies, check out: York/Adams greatest athletes.
– OK, here’s your chance to vote for the greatest athlete to ever come from York County. Check out this ydr.com poll and bios of the athletes who are on there.
But setting aside that vote for a moment, the NFL community in the U.S. has cast its ballot. The winner: Chris Doleman.