Prominent actor Craig Sheffer hails from overlooked Windsor Park
York, Pa.’s, Craig Sheffer starred in the “A River Runs Through it.”
A creek runs near it.
That’s Windsor Park, profiled in York Town archives post “That’s , not Windsor … .” That post, later turned into a York Daily Record editorial, told of this quaint but relatively unknown Spring Garden Township community.
As it turns out, Windsor Park was the boyhood home of “A River Runs Through It” star Craig Sheffer.
Howard Schildt, the unofficial mayor of Windsor Park, said Sheffer comes home once or twice a year to visit his mother. As of this writing, his mother lived in the house where she reared her actor-son.
Schildt said several new families have moved into the community, despite the fact that some folks have a low regard for the neighborhood. The mayor recalls a township official referring to Windsor Park as the slum area of Spring Garden.
“That really ticked me off,” Schilt said… .
Sheffer, who played opposite Brad Pitt in “A River Runs Though It,” isn’t the only successful York Suburban alumnus.
Staff writer Pete Bothum gave this summary in 2004:
As most people know, Sheffer is just one of many York Suburban graduates to make it big on either the stage, screen or television. The list of fellow grads who also have “made it” is way too long to share here, but we’ll try: Dave Masenheimer and Nancy Wolfe went on to careers on Broadway; Ken Ludwig is a massively successful playwright; Larry Williams has directed a TV movie and an episode of “Homicide” for NBC.
And, of course, there’s Sheffer’s brother, Hogan, who is the lead writer for the CBS soap “As The World Turns.”
Sheffer credits drama teacher Myrna Shaszberger for the stream of stars from York Suburban. As far as the Hollywood success that both he and Hogan have experienced, that credit goes to their parents, he said.
“From the time we were little, they just encouraged us to do whatever we wanted to do, and be whatever we wanted to be,” Sheffer said. “No limitations.”
Also of interest:
– Cameron Mitchell, Craig Sheffer, Dixie Chick born here.
– Check out Mark Zortman’s running list of actors from York County.
– Hanover native Ann Roth explains how she designs costumes for Hollywood.
– John Baer among York countians to star on big screen.
– Memorial service for noted musician Bob January set for, well, January.
– York County, Pa.’s Cameron Mitchell agonized over career choice
– Bomb group seeks Cameron Mitchell’s WWII info
– Stand-in stole show in YLT’s “Inherit the Wind”
– Former York countian-turned-screen-writer Laurice Elehwany: How to make it as a writer
– Many national stars first performed on YLT’s stage.
– DJ to The Drifters and Charlie Thomas of York, Pa.: ‘You guys have a hit record’.
– York native Steve Zirnkilton’s ‘Law & Order’ voice known to the world.
– York County’s Ludwig family produces two national headliners.
– Don’t forget Del McCoury on list of York County’s celebs.
– Jeff Koons’ sculpture brings record for a living artist’s work.
– Add another to list of entertainers with York links.
– Former NFLer and York countian Lincoln Kennedy has not forgotten his roots.
– Names of stars from York County with pro sports links just keep increasing.
– Lineup full of sports stars with York County links.
– Braves super scout Paul Snyder about retirement: ‘I’m content’.