Posted by Jim McClure Archives, all posts, Explanations/controversy, For photo fans, Genealogy/research, Local landmarks, Mail bag, People, School days, Small-town life, Unsung/obscure sites2 Comments
Owner IDs southeastern York County mystery building
Dolores Krick recognizes the photo above, queried by a reader.
It’s the old Jamison School, and it’s on her property.
She supplied information on the school, responding to an earlier post mystery building:
The building was named after the Rev. Samuel Jamison who sold the property for the school. Rev Jamison lived at 46 Downs Rd. Teachers included Leon Walker, Helen Stewart, Pauline Ruff, Mildred Scott, Mildred Wambaugh and Sara Atkins. Pauline Grove was the last in 1947.
York County topped the state in one- and two-room schools before World War II with about 300. Consolidation in the 1950s relegated many of these buildings to houses, businesses … and decay. For more on one-room schools, see: schoolhouses and Loucks school.