Hedy Lamarr’s visit to York long remembered
Hedy Lamarr stumps for bond sales at York Safe & Lock’s ordnance plant in 1942. Those buildings make up part of Harley-Davidson’s Springettsbury Township complex.
Hedy Lamarr’s visit to York Safe & Lock’s naval ordnance plant in 1942 was one of many landmark events occurring at that site.
“I came here to sell war bonds. You came here to see what that ‘dame’ Hedy Lamarr looks like. Hitler and Hirohito are not interested in that,” she told the crowd… .
Lamarr’s visit stimulated county World War II bond sales to about half of the $1 million goal for the month.
Selected York Safe & Lock links:
– New Freedom station houses alien safe
– York Safe & Lock worker recalls chat with Hedy Lamarr
– Hedy Lamarr’s visit to York long remembered
– From Bofors to Bikes, Harley plant top hog
– Forry Laucks, Lauxmont sparked debates
– York-made safes spotted in post-war Tokyo
– York Safe restoration ‘once in a lifetime’ project.
– York Safe faltered after owner’s death.