Bucolic Outdoor Country Club started in busy York neighborhood
The original Outdoor Country Club stands in The Avenues in this photo from the publication, “Northwest York, 1884-1984.” Background posts: On Eisenhower’s Country Club of York golf round: He turned in a ‘commendable score’ and Exploring ornate Springdale, sunken ballroom, golf course and all and Why is Hanover Country Club in Abbottstown? and ‘Lady Linden’, of York’s Avenues neighborhood, gets full makeover
Many people know that the Country Club of York grew on fertile land now covered by York College of Pennsylvania.
But where did the York-area’s other major country club – the Outdoor Country Club begin? Some might think its was birthed when it took over the Country Club of York’s property when that group moved to its current location.
Actually, the Outdoor Country Club began in 1892 in the trolley suburbs now called The Avenues, according to the booklet “Northwest York” … .
It met at 645 Madison Ave. to be exact, and many of its charter members – Capt. William Lanius, Dr. W.W. Bolton and others – were prominent citizens in that locale. Indeed, Lanius was the prime mover behind this northwest York neighborhood.
The club’s original activities included outdoor activities – tennis, croquet, bicycling and hiking – and apparently that spawned its name.
It wasn’t until 1926 that the club moved to Country Club Road and added golf to its offerings.
The Outdoor Country Club later moved to its current site in Manchester Township.
The club’s early site in The Avenues was in the vicinity of the still-standing Madison Avenue Church of the Brethren. A young church – widely known today – met in the nearby Madison Avenue School in the 1990s.
Today, it’s known as Grace Fellowship, now meeting near York New Salem by way of Red Lion.
Another developing congregation, City Church York, is centered across the street.
So just consider this city neighborhood an incubator of sorts.