Now, here’s a peaceful place in York County, Pa.: Linked in with neat history stuff – May 27, 2011
Melanie Pancho submitted this photograph from York County, Pa.’s West Manchester Township to the Your Photos section of ydr.com: ‘Lovely old graveyard behind the West Manchester Mall on Loucks Rd.’ Some members of the Pfaltzgraff family of pottery fame are buried there. Also of interest: Original WSBA station hands mic to demolition team and Pottery put the other Foustown – the one in Manchester Township – on the map and York County, Pa., outhouse rules: From honey dippers to privy diggers.
Neat stuff from all over …
Here is a sampling links from bunches of interesting emails arriving in the past few days:
– Check out these photos and other progress of the steam locomotive under construction for use on the old Northern Central Railroad, now York County’s main rail trail stem. A slide show, too.
– Philly.com takes a look at Smarty Jones, York County’s most famous thoroughbred.
– Tommy Lee Jones is signed up to play Thaddeus Stevens in a Spielberg film. Stevens, the great abolitionist, taught school in York before becoming a lawyer and statesman… .
Recommended blog post of the day: Universal York’s June Lloyd writes about: More U.S. Presidental Ancestors Called York County Home.
Forum of the day, I: Only York blog viewers are commenting on the old White Swan drive-in, which anchored the west end of the York area, as Melvin’s did the east end.
– Forum of the day, II: Ydr.com is using Facebook as the commenting forum on stories appearing on the site vs. the former vendor, Topix.
– All York Town Square posts from the start. Then use “find” function on browser to search for keywords.
– Of course, you can always search for York Town Square posts on Google. For example, when you search for yorktownsquare and cemeteries, you get this.