Lafayette Club’s murals could expose York, Pa., history to a different audience
Linked in/Neat stuff, below: Yorktowne Hotel for sale/Hake brothers in WW II
Gordon Freireich’s recent York Sunday News column reminds you that there’s a treasure on the walls of the Lafayette Club. Murals of York in 1825, courtesy of the brush of Charles X. Carlson. That period – 1825 – was the second visit of Lafayette to York, Pa. He first came here to meet with Continental Congress about a command in 1778. Carlson had the works of artist William Wagner in mind when undertaking the work in the Lafayette Club’s Tavern Room in 1960. Gordon made a creative observation in recognizing a dual purpose for the murals after York College’s Center for Community Engagement moves in. … ‘(T)here may be an opportunity to expose a combination of York history and art to a wider audience,’ he wrote. Yes, a new generation can learn about York, Pa.’s, past and its strong links with national events. Also of interest: Murals of the Lafayette Club, York County, Pa.
When news about York College’s purchase of the Lafayette Club came out, many people saw the Yorktowne Hotel as a beneficiary. And it probably will be – for a new owner.
The Yorktowne is for sale. A recent York Daily Record story pointed to the fact that it’s on the market – for more than $4 million. The right new buyer, in turn, might make the Lafayette Club a beneficiary of a re-energized Yorktowne.
Other neat, unrelated stuff from all over … .
From on high: Working on Continental Square
— Jason Plotkin (@Jasonplotkin) August 27, 2015
Our great-grandpa: The York Daily, York County’s first daily newspaper, merged with the York Gazette in 1918 to become known as The Gazette and Daily. Its name reappeared after The Gazette and Daily shut down in 1970. It became part of the York Daily Record.
Love this photo of the Hake family from eastern York County. Seven sons served in World War II: Charles “Kervin”, Father Samuel Hake, George and Carl. front l to r: Ken, John “Raymond”, James Richard “Dick” and Bill. All seven returned home. Their contributions were recognized in a recent memorial ceremony in York, Pa.