26 York County Heritage sites appear on network of historic places
This mother and daughter from Taneytown, Md., have been coming to Hanover’s East Chestnut Street farmers market for more than 30 years. The market appears on a list of designated heritage resources in York County. This Hanover (Pa.) Evening Sun photograph was taken in 2008. (See additional photograph below.) Also of interest: Click on the National Register of Historic Places link and enjoy a tour of York County historic sites and Stewartstown Railroad’s old iron bridge on National Register and Find out how many York County sites are approved Underground Railroad stations.
One hundreds years ago, five covered market houses – Farmers, Central, City, Eastern and Carlisle Street – operated in the York area.
Often overlooked among such county structures is Hanover’s Farmers Market.
But the York County Planning Commission did not forget it.
It appears in good company of heritage places on a planning commission approved list – the York County Network of Historic Sites.
Five additional heritage places recently were added to that list.
How many of these designated heritage sites have you visited? (Search on this blog by keyword for posts explaining most of these sites.)
Going to the farmers market in Hanover has been a ritual for decades for many people for decades, such as for Paul Steich, 85, of Hanover.
– York County Heritage Trust – Colonial Complex (York City)
– Richard M. Nixon Nature Center County Park (Springfield Township)
– Old Line Museum (Delta Borough)
– Dill’s Tavern (Dillsburg)
– Maple Shade Barn (Dillsburg)
– Shank’s Mare (Lower Windsor Township)
– The Shoehouse (Hellam Township)
– Wallace-Cross Mill (East Hopewell Township)
– New Freedom Train Station (New Freedom Borough)
– Hanover Junction Train Station (North Codorus Township)
– P. Joseph Raab County Park; including York Iron Mine Company (North Codorus Township)
– Spring Valley County Park (Shrewsbury, North Hopewell and Springfield Townships)
– Heritage Rail Trail County Park; featuring 4 bridges on the National Register of Historic Places and the Howard Tunnel
– John C. Rudy County Park; featuring Bixler Farmstead (East Manchester Township)
– Apollo County Park (Chanceford Township)
– Rocky Ridge County Park (Springettsbury and Hellam Townships)
– William H. Kain County Park (York and Springfield Townships)
– Richard M. Nixon County Park (Springfield Township)
– Highpoint Scenic Vista and Recreation Area (Lower Windsor Township)
– Prospect Hill Cemetery (North York Borough and Manchester Township)
– Hanover Farmers’ Market (Hanover Borough)
– Hanover Fire Museum (Hanover Borough)
For more information on the York County Network of Historic Sites, click here.