Gettysburg 150: Top 5 picks of all photo, video, story coverage
After Independence Day in 1863, the story around Gettysburg involved treating the wounded. One hundred and fifty years later, re-enactments on those post-Battle of Gettysburg days are being played out. Here, Ken Staley of Florida re-enacts a brain surgery in a living history exhibit at the Confederate Field Hospital on Daniel Lady Farm in Gettysburg. Read more in the Hanover, Pa., Evening Sun’s: Healing side of history comes to light at Gettysburg. Also of interest: Civil War affected women in York County – and vice versa.
Check out these stories, photos and videos – the best picks from Gettysburg 150 on 7/6/13:
1. One thing about covering Gettysburg 150. There are interesting stories everywhere. Check out the combined forces of York/Hanover/Chambersburg’s newsrooms on the following stories about the serious and the not-so involving bodies and body odor: Yes, there are still bodies buried on the Gettysburg battlefield and Gettysburg 150th re-enactors deal with body odor.
2. Here’s a quick look at July 5 activities and York/Hanover/Chambersburg coverage around Gettysburg 150th.
3. The York Daily Record’s iPad app made Pennlive.com’s list of top 5 Gettysburg themed apps and the YDR’s coverage of Gettysburg 150 drew this review from noted blogger Charles Apple.
4. A photographic look at 10 defining moments in U.S. history, which, of course, includes the Battle of Gettysburg.
5. Where do you re-enactors get authentic glasses?
This is a re-run but this is just so interesting: Take a look at the Union’s ultimate weapon during the Civil War.
Here’s a bunch more stuff … .