Check out this list of 18 York countians who have made it big
A member of the York community mentioned Christian Bucks, the youngster behind the widespread Buddy Bench movement, on a list of well-known people with York County, Pa., links and roots. His idea is that if a student is sitting on the bench alone, another student should recognize that and take a seat, too. The idea came up when Christian was a first-grader at Central York School District’s Roundtown Elementary School and it spread from there. Given the national scope of his idea, Christian rightly appears on a list of accomplished people, as you’ll see below. Also of interest: With their dueling saxes, you could add Tim Warfield and Chris Bacas to any list of York celebs.
A community member is compiling lists of achievers with York County roots to invite back to benefit their home county.
He reached out with a good list and asked for for additions and contact information. Last post – These 20 pro sports celebrities have York County ties – you’ll see one list I sent him back.
Below is another list of 17 celebrities mainly from the arts and entertainment field that I added to.
Feel free to add your suggestions to this sampling in the comment area below.
1. Arianna Huffington wasn’t here long, but would she return?
Here I am in York, PA as a teenager as part of The Experiment in International Living #tbt pic.twitter.com/tr3fNsEmpM
— Arianna Huffington (@ariannahuff) April 10, 2014
2. Neal Dodson: Central High grad and Hollywood producer and director.
3. Dave Bupp and Buddy King: York High grads and members of well-known 1960s band Magnificent Men.
4. Dominic Argento: York High grad and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer.
5. Ann Roth: Hanoverian who is an Oscar-winning costume designer.
6. Charlie Thomas: Founding member of the Drifters.
7. Craig F. Walker: York Suburban grad and twice Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer for the Denver Post, now with Boston Globe.
8. Jeff Koons: From the Dover area, this pop artist’s popularity is often mentioned with that of Andy Warhol’s.
9. Ken Ludwig: This playwright came home for a York Little Theatre benefit two or three years ago.
10. Eugene Ludwig: Ken’s brother, Eugene, is former Clinton Administration official.
11. Rock band Live: Band members are investing heavily in York.
12. Evan Sharp: This Suburban High grad is the founder of the popular social media site Pinterest.
13. Del McCoury – This bluegrass star was born in York County’s Pigeon Hills.
14. Martie Maguire: This member of the Dixie Chicks was born here.
15. Craig Sheffer: He was star of the Hollywood film ‘The River Runs through It’ and other movies.
16. Hogan Sheffer: Craig’s brother is a screenwriter and became well known as writer for the soap opera ‘As the World Turns.’
17. Author Rita Mae Brown, a former Hanover resident, appeared at a fundraiser to preserve the Camp Security Revolutionary War POW camp site at the Heritage Trust a couple of years ago.
Also of interest:
Can you name others celebs to invite back to York County? Please comment below.