Check out these iconic YDR photos fit for Facebook timeline: Linked in with neat history stuff, Jan. 30, 2012
Tractor’s square dance, yes square dance, at a recent Pennsylvania Farm Show. This photo, one of several available by the York, Pa., Daily Record/Sunday News, is available for posting on Facebook’s new timeline feature. If you’re not a fan of Facebook, you might just enjoy the dozen or so photographs at Facebook timeline. (See additional photo below.) While on the topic of photographs, see this poster image of Joe Paterno, published in the York Sunday News on Jan. 29. Also of interest: Crowdsourcing an effective way to gather York County news.
Neat stuff from all over …. .
Yorktownsquare.com posts and newspaper articles about the long-closed Boring Furniture Co. continue to spark letters of inquiry.
The most recent one comes from Elizabeth (Libby) Wilson Sellen of Woodbury, N.J. She grew up in York and still has close relatives here.
“Please assure Sarann Boring that her family’s furniture company is alive and well in my memory. My dad, Russell Wilson, was the bookkeeper there for many years and all I have to do is close my eyes and I can see the wooden steps we had to climb to get up to his office. But more than that is the smell of the varnish, glue, and sawed wood which made it such an exciting place for me to visit. I remember that there were a number of brothers who owned the company, one being Curly.
“Actually, I think I recall one of the brothers having a daughter named Sarann. I don’t know the length of time my dad worked there. He passed away in 1967 and worked there many years before that. When I was a student at Wm. Penn HS, class of ’58, I remember my dad coming home for lunch from work at Borings’ and picking me up to go home for lunch. Of course, many of our family members owned several tables made by that company and still have them today.
She asked that I send her email on to Sarann, which I’ve done.
– A York County High School student recently wrote with a long list of questions about the York Daily Record/Sunday News.
Here are some of my responses:
– YDR history.
– Chronology of YDR’s history and brief history of digital history.
– Controversy over YDR predecessor’s founding date.
– Biography of J.W. Gitt, longtime owner.
– Most famous former staff member, Robert Maynard.
– Two Pulitzer Prize winners after they left YDR or its predecessor.
– Awards YDR has won in past 20 years.
– Blog post of the day: Cannonball’s Scott Mingus visits where Confederate Gen. Jubal Early started his raid on the north – and into York County – Hamilton’s Crossing, Va.
Forum of the day: The long-running Exchange thread, York County dairies and dairymen, is still running.
Another York, Pa., Daily Record/Sunday News image for use on Facebook timeline pages.