York Town Square

Part of the USAToday Network

Susquehanna, waterways Archives

Stephen H. Smith, in his YorksPast blog, is making wonderful contributions to our understanding of York County, Pa. In this graphic, he addresses a topic I’ve always pondered: Where actually was the canal at York Haven. Here he shows us – and in this Yorkspast post, he explains many things about the man-made waterway. The canal by-passed rapids in the Susquehanna River and fed commerce in York Haven and the lower Susquehanna starting in the late 1700s. Stephen gives this excellent summary: ‘The canal was about one mile long, hugging the York County bank of the Susquehanna River from the top of the Conewago Falls, downriver to two locks at the lower end, near present day York Haven; all required so that river traffic could negotiate the 19-foot drop of the Conewago Falls.’

An early morning fire badly damaged the old Red Lion Country Club building.This 1956 clipping, from York County Heritage Trust files, shows one of the improvements to the York Township building. Like the Hanover Country Club’s Abbottown location, the Red Lion Country Club has sat on land originally purchased in 1937. The club has not operated as such for several years and is currently owned – and placed up for sale – by the Red Lion School District.

This plaque comes from the old Ganoga Bridge that carried the Susquehanna Trail across the Conewago Creek near Strinestown, York County, Pa. The beautiful bridge is gone, replaced by a new kind of sterile modern structure. The old bridge displayed plaque on each end and 12 light standards representing the 12 Boy Scout laws as a tie-in to the nearby Boy Scout camp of the same name. One of the plaques is the property of Boy Scout Camp Tuckahoe. The other, pictured here, is part of the York County Heritage Trust’s collection. It’s also one of six questions that are part of a quiz of such items under Heritage Trust ownership. So we’ve given you one answer. See how you do on the other five!

This is the cover of a booklet published by Walt Geiger and Dave Leonard to show the impact of Tropical Storm Agnes on the Spring Grove,Pa., area. ‘Codorus Creek crests 96 inches deeps at mill dam, topping 1933 record of 54 inches,’ an introduction to the photo booklet states. Here, water spills onto Spring Grove’s main street from a Glatfelter loading dock.