An audience overflowed from Martin Library’s Silent Reading Room in a Fixing York forum this
This is the 1800s home of Dr. Adam Eisenhart, now part of the Stillmeadow Church of the Nazarene’s campus in Manchester Township, Pa. It’s among scores of properties on the Manchester Township Historical Society’s Historical Property Review. A digital file on the building lists the property of high historical value. ‘According to census data and genealogy research, the 1860 owner was Dr. Adam Eisenhart, 1811-1872. His wife was Leah Ferry (or Ferree), 1820-1882,’ the property review states. The historical society’s review consists of a mapped, searchable database of such historical structures.
This York County, Pa., building and its smokestack have brought up all kinds of stories, often spooky, over the years. It’s now used as a crematorium. So where does this building stand? Btw, what was its original use?
The York, Pa., Daily Record’s Jason Plotkin’s photos from above the Norman Wood Bridge are telling for several reasons. With a Susquehanna River bed like that, it’s obvious why the river over the centuries could not be navigated – or at least navigated by flatboats only in certain rainy seasons. It’s also why canals had to be put in on both sides of the river so that farmers and merchants could get their goods to market on the Chesapeake Bay.
In its day, a pair of buildings in Glen Rock, operated by the Neuhaus brothers, sold everything from field plows to dynamite