Springettsbury Township’s Meadowbrook Mansion looms in the background as riders and horses strike a pose.
William J. Fisher, seated, A.B. Farquhar Co. president, and his son, Edward H. Fisher, sold the York, Pa., company to Oliver Corporation in 1951. The farm equipment manufacturer started in 1856 and was one of the prime movers behind the York Plan.
York County was blessed with engraver William Wagner, who drew the left part of this scene, and fellow artist Lewis Miller, who left a legacy of 19th-century scenes that tell us much about how people lived.