Springettsbury Fire Stations nearing completion; Then & Now
This is the “Then” photo of the Springettsbury Fire Station nearing completion in 1958. It is the present Springetts Fire Company at 3013 East Market Street. Only the middle part of the present fire station was built in 1958. Later additions were made during 1967 and 1974; at both ends of the original structure.
The present 3013 East Market Street fire station replaced the first fire station, whose structure still stands at 2914 East Market Street. Some of the taverns, that later occupied the first fire station building, included: Fire House, Woozy Moose and Casablanca.
The history of the present fire station can be found in “Springetts Fire Company 50th Anniversary (1926-1976)” booklet from the collections of the York County Heritage Trust:
On January 7, 1958 bids were opened for construction of a new building, and contracts totaling $74,975.00 were awarded. One third of the money needed was raised in the community, and the remainder of what was thought to be insurmountable indebtedness was established as a mortgage. A groundbreaking ceremony took place on April 6th and the first stages of construction began April 9th. In October the original fire hall was sold for $13,600.00, and the move to the new premises took place on Thanksgiving Day. On Sunday, April 26, 1959 a dedication ceremony was held on the premises.
On July 10th 2013, ground was broken for the third fire station in the eastern part of Springettsbury Township. When completed in May or June of 2014 the new $3.8 million fire station, a part of York Area United Fire & Rescue, will replace the present fire station.
The newest fire station is located about a mile to the east of the initial stations; nearly in the “ghost shadow” of the former Stony Brook Drive-In Theatre’s massive outdoor movie-screen. The following is the “Now” photo of the Springettsbury Fire Station on Commons Drive, as it nears completion in 2014.
Commons Drive is a new road extending from Eastern Boulevard to East Market Street; intersecting Market Street just east of Hoss’s Steak & Sea House. A recent photo shows the completion of Commons Drive will likely occur during May.
Related posts include:
- What do Fire House, Woozy Moose and Casablanca have in Common?
- Exploits of Mack the Noble Fire Horse
- Memorials to Firefighters and to Mack the Fire Horse
- Bridging a Stony Run Tributary on Commons Drive; Springettsbury Fire Station photos
- Stony Brook Drive-In Theatre; and the answer is Spaceballs
- New Springettsbury Fire Station in the “Ghost Shadow” of the former Stony Brook Drive-In Theatre