Residence of Martin Library namesake built in 1895
This is a 1904 photo of the Milton Martin residence in York, PA; it sits a short distance west of the public library in York that bears his name. If you are reading this on the Ydr.com site, click on this LINK for a Full View of the illustrations in this post on the original YorkBlog site; since the ydr.com site will occasionally cut off important details in the cropping of illustrations.
Milton D. Martin occupied this residence for the last 17-years of his life. He died in his home on December 31, 1912. This building still stands today, at 145 E. Market Street, as seen in a 2016 photo.
With the exception of the 141 E. Market Street building extending into the “between-building” walkway, 145 E. Market Street looks much the same as it did when it was built for Milton Martin in 1895. Trinity Law, a Menges & McLaughlin Law Firm, presently occupy the building at 145 E. Market Street.
In 1882, at twenty-two years old, Milton D. Martin went into the carriage making business with his father Hiram Martin in York. In terms of present addressing, the small startup Carriage Factory of H. Martin & Son initially existed at 319 North George Street for about four years before moving into a bigger factory at 240 North George Street. While at the later site in 1888, the partnership with his father failed due to financial difficulties; whereupon Milton went off on his own to establish the immensely successful Martin Carriage Works.
A receipt letterhead of Martin Carriage Works, dated September 26, 1893, notes his two factories are producing 12,000 vehicles annually. These two factories are located to the rear of 24-26-28 North George Street and at 52-54 North George Street. At this time, Milton decided to build himself the nice home on East Market Street. To the upper right side of the front door, in the stone work, JAD initials with the 1895 year are carved; indicating the house was designed by noted York architect John A. Dempwolf.
Shortly, Milton Martin needed more room in his factories, such that construction of a massive factory in West York was begun in 1896. In 1897 the new four-story factory, on a six-acre site was up and running, with the entire production moved to West York. The 52-54 North George Street location was retained as sales offices and the 24-26-28 North George Street location was used for vehicle storage. The West York factory was soon producing up to 20,000 vehicles annually. South Highland Avenue, the Railroad and West Market Street essentially bounded this Martin Carriage Works site in West York.
This photo of Milton D. Martin is from George Prowell’s 1907 History of York County, PA. Upon the December 31, 1912 death of Milton Martin, his estate was left in trust to his wife Martha. After Mrs. Martin died October 3, 1915, Milton’s bequest of $125,000 for the building of a public library was released. Martha’s death also released an additional $60,000 for the public library. However this was not enough money, at that time, to build and stock a library, so the money was invested to accumulate more funds.
In 1920, the lot on the southwest corner of East Market and North Queen Streets was purchased; where the Martin Library now stands. Over a decade later, local architect Frederick G. Dempwolf designed the Colonial-style library. Construction was begun in 1934 and the library opened in 1935.
Links to related posts:
- #3 Martin Carriage Works; largest West York Factory in 1899
- #8 York Carriage Company; becomes site of Pullman Automobile production in York
- Fluhrer Building: one of Dempwolf’s top three designs in York
- Stewartstown Mystery involved a Dempwolf Mansion in York
- The Kurtz Mansion at 109 West Market Street