Mr. and Mrs. Mahlon N. Haines
Mr. & Mrs. Mahlon N. Haines appear in a group photo during a 1916 gathering at the Schaszberger-Dempwolf Farm. At that time, the Haines family lived in East York; a short distance from that farm in Springettsbury Township.
Why were Mr. & Mrs. Mahlon N. Haines included in the Schaszberger-Dempwolf group photo? Old newspaper articles suggest that Haines was good friends with Edward F. Schaszberger and Reinhardt Dempwolf; the heads of their respective families in that photo. Later in this post, read about a 1913 trip Mahlon Haines took to Florida and Cuba with Edward F. Schaszberger, the father-in-law of Reinhardt Dempwolf.
J. A. Dempwolf Architects designed Mahlon’s first suburban residence; located on the northwest corner of North Rockburn Street and East Philadelphia Street. That 1913 residence was the first of at least five buildings that Haines utilized Dempwolf Architects to design; many of these Dempwolf drawings are noted as drawn by RD, i.e. Reinhardt Dempwolf.
The photo of the whole gathering appears later in this post. Click on this LINK for a yorkblog.com Full View of the three original photos in this post if details are cut off in the cropping of photos, or if they have been removed from the ydr.com site.
Within that yorkblog.com site, the York Daily Record is presently experiencing gremlins, which, on some platforms, results in a new window opening at findbetterresults.com; a site no longer used by the York Daily Record. While the York Daily Record works on correcting this problem, simply close that window; the linked blog page, within yorkblog.com, that you were intending to reach should appear.
The gremlin also appears on the other yorkblog.com sites: Cannonball site of Scott Mingus, Only in York County site of Joan Concilio, Universal York site of June Lloyd, and York Town Square site of Jim McClure, where you can continue to access Jim’s older posts prior to October 30, 2015. As with all the yorkblog.com sites, the “Search this blog” within the page continues to be a fantastic search tool within each individual site.
Mahlon N. Haines married June Brown Irwin on October 20, 1909; he was 34-years-old and she was 24-years-old. Their children were born: September 5, 1910 (Stanley E. Haines), August 25, 1912 (Mahlon N. Haines II), and September 29, 1916 (June Irwin Haines).
Here is the 1916 photo of the whole gathering at the Schaszberger-Dempwolf Farm. The zoomed-in view of Mrs. & Mr. Mahlon N. Haines comes from the upper right. At the time of the photo, June Haines was 31-years-old and Mahlon Haines was 41-years-old.
Writing on the back of the photo identifies the individuals. From left, sitting: Mr. & Mrs. Edward F. Schaszberger, Mrs. Charles (Amanda) Herman, Rev. G. W. Enders, D.D.; standing: Mrs. & Mr. Reinhardt Dempwolf, Master John Armour Dempwolf, Miss Annie K. Schaszberger, Peter Z. Kesler, Mr. Jacob T. Kopp, Mrs. & Mr. Mahlon N. Haines.
On January 17, 1913, Edward F. Schaszberger and Mahlon N. Haines left for a trip to the Isle of Pines. Following the Spanish-American War, the Isle of Pines became an American territory in the early 1900s. The Isle is a remote island 60-miles south of the western end of Cuba. The Isle was returned to Cuba in 1924, whereupon the island became the site of Cuba’s maximum security prison. Before he came to power, Fidel Castro was a prisoner there for 6-years.
The January 15, 1913 issue of The York Daily reported the itinerary for the Yorkers trip to the Isle of Pines: “Edward F. Schaszberger and Mahlon N. Haines, both of this city, leave Friday from Baltimore, on the Merchants and Miners steamship Susawanna, for Jacksonville, Fla. From there they go through Florida to Key West, over the famous Oceanic railroad, thence to Cuba and the Isle of Pines, where they will visit Mr. Haines’ mother. Mrs. Haines has an orange and grapefruit plantation on the Isle of Pines. They will return home from Havana, Cuba, by way of New York City.”
Reinhardt Dempwolf had a business association with Mahlon Haines. J. A. Dempwolf Architects designed Haines’ first suburban residence in 1912. It was completed in the Spring of 1913 and still stands today on the northwest corner of North Rockburn Street and East Philadelphia Street in Springettsbury Township, as shown in this 2018 photo.
From 1915 to 1925, Mahlon Haines utilizes J. A. Dempwolf Architects to design at least four additional buildings. The first of these was The Haines Shoe Company headquarters building; which opened in 1915 at 231 North George Street in York. Unfortunately that 3-story building was torn down in the 1960s to create several off-street parking spaces.
In 1921, Dempwolf designed the 4-story Haines Building, which still stands on the northeast corner of East Market Street and North Duke Street in York. RSDC is presently renovating this building at 101 East Market Street; with offices planned on the first floor and 10 new apartments on the upper floors.
In December of 1917, Mahlon Haines purchased 199-acres of farmland adjoining the east side of present day Haines Road: he names this farm Haines Acres. In 1922, Dempwolf designed a Haines Acres suburban home for Mahlon Haines. That home still stands as part of the Eastminster Presbyterian Church at 311 Haines Road.
In 1925, Dempwolf designed the 5-story, 47-room Haines Hotel on the northwest corner of North George Street and West Philadelphia Street; although no longer used as a hotel, it still stands.
Links to related Haines posts include:
- Mahlon Haines’ Hotel endures on North George Street
- Haines Building on North George Street
- 20 York Businesses that Built the Haines Shoe House
- Mahlon Haines built Haines Building at 101 E. Market St.
- Lincoln Highway Centennial Auto Tour at Haines Shoe House
- The Shoe House is OPEN
- The Shoe Wizard celebrates 33 Years as a Yorker
- Mahlon Haines’ Yorkshire Ranch