Menu-Ette Christmas Window Artwork
It was a Christmas tradition for Cliff Satterthwaite to decorate the Menu-Ette Restaurant windows with paper murals. Each year there was a different theme.
In 1962, the pictured artwork depicted a traditional Christmas. The theme for another year, which stuck out in my mind, was a display featuring a snowball fight and children sledding.
The other half of the 1962 Christmas window display, i.e. the half to the right side of the restaurant’s front entrance, is shown below. Click on this LINK for a Full View of the illustrations in this post; since the ydr.com site will occasionally cut off important details in the cropping of illustrations.
The Menu-Ette Restaurant was located approximately across East Market Street from the Modernaire Motel in Springettsbury Township. Bob Sternbergh established this restaurant about in 1960 and operated it for most of the 1960s. The present Jiffy-Lube is located about where the Menu-Ette once stood. Cliff Satterthwaite submitted this 1963 winter scene, in front of the Menu-Ette Restaurant with the windows decorated with that year’s paper murals.
Cliff’s artistry, via murals, also graced the interior of this restaurant. The following photo shows a small mural section, while also capturing “the greeter.” Cliff Satterthwaite explains, “Bob Sternbergh had the lone-some old wagon wheel hub hanging without it’s wheel around it, ..I thought I’d create serendipity humor with a little man springing out “greeting” the people; with bare feet & tie to give it “class”!”
I’ll close out this YorksPast Christmas post with a close up on the 1962 Christmas window display at the Menu-Ette Restaurant. Let there be Peace on Earth.
Links to past Christmas posts:
- Memories of Christmas 1955
- The Real Santa visits York in 1957
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
- Glass Shiny-Brite Christmas ornaments’ York County connection
- Bon-Ton Christmas Memories from 1950s
- Santa flight that started a York tradition
- Christmas Card Girl is a York businesswoman
Related posts include:
- Menu-Ette linked to York Diner and Playland
- Menu-Ette established in former Bear’s Food Market
- SNOW WARS—Snowball Battles of Yesteryear
- Such Good Food at the York Diner
- York Diner moves to the Suburbs
- Bury’s in Springettsbury Township was not just Hamburgers