YorksPast

Part of the USA Today Network

Railroads Archives

YorksPast continues the series of posts exploring the history of the Codorus Canal. Completed in November of 1833, this canal allowed navigating 70-foot long canal boats between downtown York and the Susquehanna River. Part three explores pertinent history of Loucks Mill. Information within agreements, and lawsuits, between mill owner George

York Chocolate Company was established in 1919. In 1920, the company obtained a trademark on their brand of chocolate: “Swiss-Alpine Style Sweet Milk Chocolate.” Click on this LINK for a yorkblog.com Full View of the original illustration in this post if details are cut off in the cropping of illustration,

Nearly a century ago milk chocolate was produced in York at a location now replaced by centerfield of PeoplesBank Park; the home of the Atlantic League’s 2017 championship baseball team, the York Revolution. Large cans of milk, bags of cocca beans and sacks of sugar were carted a short distance

Bob Smyser shared the story that Howard Smyser sold electric cars in York by boasting, “The cars are fueled by Susquehanna River water.” Meaning, the waters of the Susquehanna produce electricity, via the York Haven Hydroelectric Power Plant, which charge the car batteries, allowing for 75 to 90 miles of

Last month Bob Smyser provided some neat Civil War insight about General Gordon stopping at the house still standing at 3103 East Market Street in Springettsbury Township; prior to his Confederate troops marching to Wrightsville. Bob continues to provide interesting York County related Smyser family history with this post. Bob