23¢ per gallon at York’s Only Gasoline Shopping Center
If you traveled to Gettysburg for the 100th Anniversary Commemoration of The Battle of Gettysburg in 1963, these were the prices you were paying for gasoline. In 2013, fifty years later, for the 150th Anniversary Commemoration you’ll pay about $3.40 per gallon.
The Lincoln Highway Garage billed itself as “York’s Only Gasoline Shopping Center” because it was the only service station in York that offered customers such a wide choice from the most popular brands of gasoline. Their own, economical, Sportsmen’s Special brand was Trade Mark Registered; it was originated at the Lincoln Highway Garage in 1957.
If you were a regular customer of Sportsmen’s Special gasoline or if you have memories of the Lincoln Highway Garage, please comment.
Lincoln Highway related posts include:
- Lincoln Highway Centennial Auto Tour at Haines Shoe House
- The 1920s Lincoln Highway Garage in Hallam
- Wrightsville’s Lincoln Highway Garage with a Movie Theatre
- Stony Brook Garage on the Lincoln Highway
- York was in danger of losing the Lincoln Highway during 1914
- Walking the Lincoln Highway from Coast-to-Coast
- The Highway Bridge Service Station on the Lincoln Highway
- Haines Shoe House will be a June 23rd Lunch Stop on 100th Anniversary Lincoln Highway Auto Tour
- 20 York Businesses that Built the Haines Shoe House
- ROAD OF REMEMBRANCE Memorial in Paradise Township, York County
- Mystery Ice Cream Bar along the Lincoln Highway
- Melvin’s Drive-In, Lincoln Highway Ice Cream Bar; I-83 Opens
- St. Joseph reports on John F. Kennedy in York, PA
- Lincoln Woods Inn; Mystery of the Medallions
- LoPiccolo’s in Violet Hill connection to The Woods in Springettsbury Township
- 1906 York Automobile Owners form York Motor Club; their Club House still stands
- Motels & Restaurants named via the Lincoln Highway; Lincoln View in Paradise Township, York County