Staff Q&As: Meet graphic designer Sam Dellinger
To help you get to know our newsroom staff a bit better, a series of question-and-answer posts with each journalist will run on Mondays. This morning, meet graphic designer Samantha K. Dellinger. You’ve likely seen her creations already in the Daily Record, Sunday News, FlipSide tab and other publications. She also writes about design and art-related projects on her blog, Artist’s Bloc.
Name: Samantha K. Dellinger
Lives in: A condo
Position at the YDR: Artist
Years with the YDR: 10 plus
Graduated from: Pennsylvania College of Art & Design or PCAD
With a degree in: Graphic design
Whatever you’d like to tell us about yourself: I’m the best artist they got in the newsroom, because I’m the only artist they got.
1. What made you want to become a journalist? I needed a job.
2. How do you see journalism changing? The fundamentals aren’t changing, but more how it’s being presented to the readers.
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? Most: Every day is different. I really love my job, I get paid to draw on shoes, doodle, make crafts, it’s like arts and crafts day for me everyday. Least, I don’t like creating the PSSA graphics.
4. It’s 9:30 a.m. on a day off. What are you doing? Playing with my buuudog, Diesel!
5. What’s been your favorite project or story recently? Why? I love the holidays because I get to create my picture finders.
6. The drink that’s on your desk right now is: Jack Daniels. (Not, really) Cold coffee.
7. Your favorite journalism-related blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: Charles Apple and Stephanie Grace Lim are inspirations of mine.
8. What’s the last movie you saw in theaters? The last book you read? Puss in Boots (for the movie); sad to say it was probably a Twilight book.
9. What’s your favorite place in York County? Central Market, Rocky Ridge, my house.
10. What’s one piece of newsroom jargon that had to be explained to you? Agate. And I have to be reminded that Penn State does not play in the Super Bowl.
Check out our past Q&As:
— Staff photographer Chris Dunn
— Niche publications editor Kara Eberle
— Online / community-news editor Joan Concilio
— Assistant managing editor of features and niche publications and social media coordinator Buffy Andrews
— Managing editor Randy Parker