Staff Q&As: Meet editorial page editor Scott Fisher
To help you get to know our newsroom staff a bit better, a series of question-and-answer posts with each journalist will run on Mondays. This morning, meet editorial page editor Scott Fisher. He’s the mastermind behind the York Daily Record opinion content, but you’ve also seen his work online behind the scenes at www.yorkblog.com.
Name: Scott Fisher
Lives in: Manchester Township
Hometown: Wilmington, Del.
Position at the YDR: Editorial page editor
Years with the YDR: 8
Graduated from: University of Delaware
With a degree in: English
Facebook: Scott Fisher
Whatever you’d like to tell us about yourself: Married, two boys, one at Penn State and one in middle school. Into running, bicycling, hiking, kayaking, driveway basketball, Philadelphia Eagles. Hack musician (guitar, bass and drums), occasional writer of not-very-good songs — and home recorder of same.
1. What made you want to become a journalist? Dislike of substitute teaching job right after college.
2. How do you see journalism changing? Byte by byte.
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? The writing. The writing.
4. It’s 9:30 a.m. on a day off. What are you doing? Running or biking.
5. What’s been your favorite project or story recently? Why? An editorial project on ARD & Police. I think it made an important point. Also, I won a money prize for it.
6. The drink that’s on your desk right now is: Coffee.
7. Your favorite journalism-related blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: Romenesko
8. What’s the last movie you saw in theaters? The last book you read? Movie: “Moneyball.” Book: “Don’t Be Cruel” by the great Mike Argento.
9. What’s your favorite place in York County? The hammock under the trees in my backyard on a nice summer Sunday. Good book, cold beer.
10. What’s one piece of newsroom jargon that had to be explained to you? I’ve been here too long to remember that.
Last week, we ran a Q&A with education reporter Angie Mason. To read all of the staff Q&A interviews we’ve done so far, click on the “Staff Q&As” under “About us” at the top of the homepage.