Glen Rock Beats Depression
Portion of 1876 Pomeroy, Whitman map of downtown Glen Rock showing industries.
Glen Rock, Pa. was really a booming manufacturing town a hundred years ago. It was among the York County towns that enjoyed the advantage by being located on a main railroad line, allowing easy shipping of raw materials and finished products.
According to a front page article in the January 23, 1900 York Press, Glen Rock even weathered the 1890s Depression well.
The article reads:
A PROSPEROUS TOWN
It Enjoys a Vigorous Boom that is Likely to Be Lasting.
Among the many towns of the county that have been pushing to the front in industry and commerce, the town of Glen Rock stands out conspicuously. It was one of the few towns in the State that passed through the recent period of hard times without being seriously affected.
Among the foremost industries may be mentioned the Wire Cloth factory, S. K. Diehl superintendent; Glen Manufacturing company, Jas. Dise, manager; Norrish Foundry and Machine works; Enterprise Furniture factory and a sewing factory employing one hundred girls under the management of J. M. Grove. These plants are operating full time and have orders enough ahead to keep them running indefinitely.
The Rampley carriage works, employing a large number of men, recently destroyed by fire in York, will be rebuilt there. W. C. Koller, who has become famous as a dealer in buggies, wagons, etc., will conduct the enterprise.
There are five stores, one bank, two hotels, three liveries, four churches and lodges of Junior Mechanics, Knights of Pythias, Red Men and Heptasophs.
An electric lighting plant supplies the town with light and the streets are well paved. The population is between 1200 and 1400 and is rapidly increasing. The Glen Rock Item is an old established publication with a State reputation, and its editor, Mr. M. L. Kapp, is just the sort of a man to run a live paper in a live town.