Ask Joan: The “I’ve Got Nothing” edition
Sometimes, I share Ask Joan questions that I’ve answered. Often, if the question I answer is ULTRA-specific, I may answer it and not share. But sometimes, I get questions that I really couldn’t answer – either because I just don’t have the background, or because they’re specifically seeking a large group of memories.
And those are the kinds of questions I’m sharing today: The kind I can really use your help on, because I’ve got nothing! Thank you all for reading and helping out!
1. String quartet at Women’s Club
2. Info on Bel-Mar Athletic Association
3. Seeking Gehm’s Bakery cheesecake recipe
1. I’m working on book about the Curtis String Quartet (1927-1981). I have it that they gave a concert at the Women’s Club of York on 20 October 1934 and I wonder if you have an any information i.e. correspondence, program announcement, program, or review? And did they give any subsequent concerts or had they played there before?
– Tim Bosworth
While I don’t have any of that info, nor do our newspaper archives go back that far in-house, I’m hoping someone out there remembers or has something that could be helpful. If you do, please share!
2. I found an official Basket Ball Score Book belonging to the Bel-Mar Athletic Association recently. It has dates starting at Dec 12, 1933 – January 21, 1935. I’d like to turn it over, but I am unable to find any mention of Bel-Mar AA in my computer research. I do have the name of an Edwin Larkin of W. King Street in York on the inside front cover. Can any of your readers help me find the best place to return this item?
– Albert “Big Al” Raimer of Red Lion
Would love to help Al find a good home for this – so if you have any info, please let me know and I can put you in touch!
3. Does anyone have Gehm’s Bakery’s recipe for cheesecake? It was always a wonderful treat when my grandmother purchased it for the family.
– Barb Moncuse
We had good success getting the Avalong ham barbecue recipe earlier this week, so I’m hoping someone will be able to help Barb out with this one!
Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, but I will feature three each week and answer as many as possible!