Ask Joan: Welcome back edition
As of Saturday, I officially earned my tae kwon do purple belt. We’re finished my daughter’s back-to-school shopping, and I’ve got new sneakers of my own. Life is good.
1. Seeking location of “Toad Road”
2. York County memories on Facebook
3. Shoes next to the movies
1. Do you know where Toad Road is? I thought they were in the Rehmeyer’s Hollow area. Which is called Spring Valley Park today. Two large concrete toads along side of the road. Any suggestions?
J.R., I think you’re mixing your local legends. While Rehmeyer’s Hollow Road (home of the famous hex house) IS near Spring Valley Park, “Toad Road” is actually Trout Run Road in Hellam Township, and is best known for the (untrue) legend of the “Seven Gates of Hell” that supposedly guarded a mental institution in that area. The truth is, there’s only one gate, and there was no institution, just the home of a local doctor. Meanwhile, as Hellam Township points out on its website, the area is private property – so I have to encourage everyone to take my word for it and not head out to explore on your own.
2. Joan, Enjoy your column very much. My husband and I and our families all grew up in York and appreciate your research. Are you aware of the Facebook site: I grew up in York in the 50’s and 60’s? It’s an open site, anyone can join by request. There are over 500 members and your column has been discussed a few times as well as everything else! Thought you might be interested!
– Jaclyn Sallade
Jaclyn, I’m so glad you mentioned this! I am a member of that Facebook group, as well as one for people who grew up in York in the ’70s and ’80s, which I guess makes me very multigenerational. But I realized these are the sorts of sites people who read this blog might also be interested in joining.
So, if you’re on Facebook, please consider “joining” or “liking” the following:
· I grew up in York, PA in the 50’s & 60’s
· I grew up in York, PA in the 70’s & 80’s
· You know you’re from York PA when…
· I Love York City
· York Daily Record/Sunday News
· Joan on Facebook (my personal profile; please feel free to add me as a friend!)
3. What was the name of the shoe store next to the Rialto movie theatre?
– Mary Johnson
The Rialto, if anyone isn’t familiar, was in the second block of West Market Street. In the same block, though perhaps not exactly next door, were A.S. Beck Shoes and Haines the Shoe Wizard, which I believe was a repair shop, not a shoe-seller; one in one direction from the Rialto and one in the other.
Mary, is it possible that Beck’s is what you were thinking of? That’s based on what my friend Yvonne Leiphart recalled in an earlier post, and it seems to make sense. If anyone has another idea, let me know!
Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, so it might take me a while, but I hope to be able to answer as many as possible!