Ask Joan: Sharing your news edition
1. How to get it published
2. Name of a former restaurant
3. Wolfgang’s Sporting Goods – where, when?
1. How do I put an article in (the newspaper)?
– Pastor Phyllis Hunter
I was very happy to hear Phyllis’ question, because it’s probably the No. 1 question I receive in an average workweek. And I’m even more happy to tell you what I told Phyllis, which is that it’s as easy as emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the relevant details.
That said, there is a LOT more to sharing your news that we can help with; among other things, we’re so much more than a newspaper and there are so many ways we can help you spread the word beyond that one medium. So if you, like Phyllis, have the same question, I’d love to have you come to our “How to Get it Published” seminar, here at the YDR offices in West Manchester Township, on Nov. 9 from 3 to 5 p.m. We go over everything you need to know to get the word out.
If you’re interested, TODAY is the deadline to register; you can do so at www.ydr.com/share. We’d love to see you there!
2. (I want to know) the name of the restaurant that was there before TGI Fridays was built. It was a smorgasboard beside what was then the Westgate Inn or now Best Western.
– Randy Robertson
Randy said this was for a trivia contest, and I was glad to be able to get back to him quickly, because this one one I actually knew! It was Family Time, and I used to go there a lot. (We’d talked about that in a post back in February.)
3. I just acquired an old fly rod on eBay with a sticker on it from Wolfgang’s Sporting Goods. Do you know when this store closed its doors by chance? Thanks. I live in Seattle but I grew up in Harrisburg.
– Dave Hoover
As near as I can tell, there was a Wolfgang’s in the Stonybrook area of Springettsbury Township at one point, but I do not have a date on when it was opened or closed, nor do I know if there were other locations.
Any ideas for Dave?
Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, so it might take me a while, but I hope to be able to answer as many as possible!