Ask Joan: East Market Street memory edition
It’s rare that my Ask Joan questions have a theme themselves; I hear so many inquiries about so many different types of things that it’s hard to group them together.
This week was an exception, though! I received THREE questions all on former businesses on the same street!
1. Seeking name of former restaurant…
2. … and of a music store…
3. … and memories of import shop
1. (I’m seeking the) name of a restaurant on the corner of Memory Lane and East Market St. where Weis market now sits. Thought it was something like 7 Cousins or 7 Seas.
– Bella Fix
Any ideas for Bella? We don’t have a “seven” anything in our stores and restaurants of the past directory, so I’m at a loss and hoping someone reading can help!
2. (I’d like to know the) name of a music store on E. Market St. east of Sherman Street across from the Goodwill Fire Co.
– Julie Reeder
I got Julie’s question within a day of Bella’s, which I thought was neat – both East Market Street, though in different areas, and both ones that are unknown to me at this point.
Can’t wait to hear what you guys have to suggest!
3. There was an “export” shop that was in the basement of a house a few blocks from the square on Market St… It was a great place to get unusual gifts. Also there was a place called the Web for teens… Anyone else remember these places?
I swear that there was a Pier One Imports store in the second or third block of East Market Street on the north side. It could be entered through a below-ground-level door. I am pretty sure that I bought a poison ring down there. Any readers remember it?
– Jean Frigm
I received Janeen’s question above some time ago, and Jean’s just in the past week or so, along with the OTHER two East Market Street questions above.
I’m probably most interested in memories of this “underground import/export shop” than anything, just because of how neat it sounds. And a poison ring!
Would love to hear and spread the word about any and all of these.
Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, but I will feature three each week and answer as many as possible!