The first Rebel POWs in York County
On June 27, 1863, the 35th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry rode into Hanover. The battalion was comprised of four companies of Virginians and one from Maryland, all under the command of young Lt. Col. Elijah V. White. After raiding the town for supplies and items of interest to soldiers far from home (including liquor), they mounted and rode on through Jefferson to Hanover Junction.
Unseen by White, a few of his men stayed behind, either tired of the war or perhaps too drunk to continue. The next day, Hanoverians discovered some of these stragglers still in town. As there were no Union soldiers nearby and no policemen present to arrest them, the Confederates were “impudent and boastful in their manner.” Dr. Zieber, a local minister and the chairman of the Committee of Safety, walked up to them and demanded to know why they were still in Hanover. With the assistance of others, he arrested the cavalrymen and took them to the Central Hotel. There, guards placed the Rebels on a wagon and conveyed them to Westminster, Maryland, where they turned their captives over to military authorities