Manheim Township mill manufactured woolen blankets during the Civil War
The Codorus Woolen Mill near the tiny hamlets of Brodbeck and Glenville, Pennsylania, in southern York County was established in 1790. It operated for more than a century and now is used as a workshop and apartments. During the American Civil War, the mill owner had a contract to supply woolen blankets to the Federal government for the Union Army.
The mill’s operator / owner lived in the adjacent mill house, which is now a private home.
The woolen mill drew its water from the West Branch of the Codorus Creek. Traces of the old mill race may still be seen. In 1899, the mill is mentioned in the Tenth Annual Report of the Factory Inspector of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as still producing blankets as its primary product line.
While Confederate cavalry patrols were active in southern York County during the Gettysburg Campaign, there is no evidence that they ever visited this particular mill. However, flour mills across the region were primary targets of foragers, who filled wagons and haversacks with fresh ground meal and flour. Had it been known that this mill was used for military purposes, it may have been torched. Southern troops burned several warehouses and railroad cars in Chambersburg and en route from Gettysburg to York when they learned they were filled with supplies for the Union army.
The old Codorus Woolen Mill is just off State Route 216 (Blooming Grove Road) not far from the city of Hanover, Pennsylvania. It’s at the intersection with Wool Mill Road.
For more photos of this mill, and hundreds of others across the county, state, and country, please visit millpictures.com.
All photos taken by Scott Mingus on July 7, 2009.